December 14, 2007

Character Creation, Part 3: Goals

Goals
Lastly are goals. These are Character goals. They can be long term or short term goals. I would like up to 3 goals, but at least 1 goal to start with. Goals are anything you character is striving to accomplish. It may even be something he can never accomplish, (like becoming the King of Montaigne) but it's still a goal. Long term goals may and will probably have many short term goals that need to be accomplish before the Long term goal can be accomplished. Include these in the description of the goal, even if you're not sure how to accomplish them at the time.

Avoid game mechanics as a goal. These are usually player goals. An example of this is: Get my Finesse and all of my Swordsman's school Knacks to Rank 5. Or
become a Master of my Swordsman's School. Because the only way you can become a master is to buy up your Swordsman's school Knacks to Rank 5. Instead your goal may be: To become the Greatest "Insert Swordsman's School name here" Swordsman's in all of Theah. This would be a Long term goal, consisting of many short term player goals. First become a Journeyman in Swordsman's school. Next becoming a Master in Swordsman's School. Next would finding the current Swordsman's considered the greatest. Finally challenging and beating him to a duel to prove you are the Greatest.

Goals will change over the course of the adventures. Some maybe become less important, replaced with new Goals. Or the party may even come up with a Goal or Goals they all want accomplished.

The reason I'm asking for goals from everyone is this. I want to tailor the story around your characters. I want the Characters to be in charge of the story, the ones in the drivers seat. The ones in control. In my years of gaming, I've noticed a pattern. Our characters would meet, usually in a tavern. Go help someone. Collect a reward, get XP. Return to the tavern. Someone else would need help and we'd go and help them. Collect a reward and get XP again. Return to the tavern... well you get the picture. Basically we were always reacting to the story. Then I created Modesto Barolo, a character with Ambition, a character with GOALS. I didn't want to react with the story anymore, I wanted to Be the story. Take the reigns and go, even if leads me to a horrible death. I explained my plan and goals to the GM, and she started to work with me. I was having much more fun working towards my goals, then just reacting to story in front of me. Sadly, the game ended abruptly with little or no explanation. Basically
the GM was tired of GMing and the game was over, "Dead, dead", end of story. But still, having a goal to go after was more enjoyable then sitting at a tavern waiting for someone to show up that needed help. If all you want to do is sit at the tavern waiting for someone to show in need of help thats fine. I can fulfill that. But if you want to BE the story, then let me know what your goals are we'll be the story together.

No comments: